Changes at the MACUL Journal

Over the past ten years, I have written several articles for the MACUL Journal. MACUL is the acronym for Michigan Association of Computer Users in Learning. It’s an awkward group name but it’s a great group. Teachers from all over Michigan with a penchant for using technology in their classroom are members and their conferences are huge and successful.

Yesterday I received an email from the editor of the Journal who noted with a little sadness that they would no longer be printing a paper copy next year. Instead, the MACUL Journal would be electronic with areas for teachers to add their comments.

MACUL's Logo

While polishing an article about drones in the classroom for the final print edition, I thought about the possibilities of electronic versus print: faster turnaround, more images, networking potential. However, the one that stood out for me was the inclusion of video. Teachers have fewer technical obstacles than ever to stop them from creating their own interactive videos.

I suggested to the editor that perhaps I could be a bit of an early adopter and create a video about drones in the classroom based on my article Рjust to get the ball rolling. Her reply came back within the hour. Not only was it a good idea, but also, hey, let us make video the theme of the first electronic version of the journal. That is what I like about MACUL. They can be fearless about embracing new ideas and making the most of them. They walk the walk.