By: Freddy Karn
2012 has been quite the eventful year! Let’s recap some of the events in case you missed it! Don’t feel bad if you don’t know them, I live under a rock so researching all of this came as a surprise to me too. These are the top 10 major moments of 2012!
10. Johnny Manziel, the Quarterback of Texas A&M University becomes the first ever freshman to win the Heisman Trophy! Congratulations Manziel!
9. Korean pop star PSY released the song “Gangnam Style” which became an international hit and it even became the most viewed video on YouTube with over 1 billion views! Take that Justin Bieber, I’m no PSYchic but I saw it coming.
8. Apple becomes the largest and most valuable public company of all time with a stock market value of around $623.52 billion, which beat Microsoft’s record of $616.34 billion set in 1999.
7. Christopher Nolan released the last part of his Batman trilogy: Dark Knight Rises. The movie became the 7th highest grossing film of all time and the Avengers became the 3rd highest grossing film of all time. Some other noteworthy news: Tarantino released his latest movie Django Unchained, Peter Jackson made the first installment of The Hobbit, and Daniel Craig starred in his third James Bond film, Skyfall.
6. Colorado and Washington become the first two states to JOINTly legalize marijuana, and not just for medicinal purposes. This is both surprising and controversial, who knows if other states will follow suit. I did not mean to put it so BLUNTly, but it is what it is.
5. The Mayans were wrong! The world is still going around after some people believed the end was coming on December 21st. Better luck next time Mayans!
4. Hurricane “super storm” Sandy killed around 125 people in the US and 71 people in the Caribbean during October. The massive storm flooded buildings, toppled structures, cut-off electricity and also forced the New York Stock Exchange to close for two days – which was the first time it has been shut down for weather reasons since 1888. Sandy caused about $62 billion in damage in the US, and $315 million in damage in the Caribbean.
3. London Summer Olympics the US wins the most amount of medals with 104 total. 46 Gold, 29 Silver, and 29 Bronze. Michael Phelps also won his 22nd Olympic Medal, becoming the most decorated Olympiad of all time.
2. In what seemed like a close election, Obama was reelected for a second term. Congratulations to Obama, we have him in office until 2016! “I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting,” -Obama’s winning speech
1. *Drum roll* NASA landed the Curiosity Rover on Mars to find out if life once inhabited mars. It has also dug up some soil for further testing and explored some of the terrain of Mars. This is exciting news! Who knows, we might get a person on Mars within a decade!
What a great year 2012 was. What was your favorite highlight?